item1a2 item1a1b item1a1a1a2 item1a1a1a1b item1a1a1a1a2 item1a1a1a1a1b item1a1a1a1a1a2 item1a1a1a1a1a1b

Universal credit is being rolled out across Cornwall: Truro and St Austell in May 2018

Universal Credit is a benefit for people of working age who are on a low income or out of work. Administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), it replaces:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income Support

Universal Credit is paid in arrears in a single monthly household payment direct to a bank, building society or credit union account. People have to apply online, and it takes around five weeks to receive their first payment from the DWP. Universal Credit can be a big change for those who aren’t used to living on a monthly budget, are in financial difficulties or behind on their rent, or who can’t afford to wait for their first payment.

By June 2018 customers will be able to make new claims for Universal Credit in all of Cornwall’s Jobcentres. Extra help and support is also available for anyone having difficulty with the change to Universal Credit.

Each Jobcentre in Cornwall have joined the scheme at different times, Universal Credit will be rolled out to the remaining areas on the following dates:

  • 23 May - Bodmin, Newquay, St Austell and Truro Jobcentres
  • 6 June - Redruth, Penryn, Helston and Penzance Jobcentres
  • Universal Credit for residents living on the Isles of Scilly is expected to go live during autumn 2018

If you know someone who needs help or advice because of the change to Universal Credit, you can ring Cornwall Council on 0300 1234 121, option 5 – for advice and guidance on managing money and living within a monthly budget. Work coaches at Jobcentres can also help with this.

Cornwall Council website benefits page provides information about applying for Council Tax Support and discretionary housing payments.

Cornwall Housing provides help and advice for Council tenants. Most other social landlords provide similar support for their tenants.



May 2018

item1a1a1b item1a1a2 item1a1b